e-Learning Course: Advanced Wastewater Treatment Control: Secondary Treatment Processes
1 CPD Point – WISA/ ECSA/ SACNASP
- This online course is aimed at Process Controllers, Superintendents, Plant Managers, Plant Technicians, and Water Sector Officials.
- An Assessment will be conducted upon conclusion of the course to ensure quality and a CPD certificate will be awarded to successful learners.
- The Course Facilitator: Dewald van Staden – Pr PC Water, Pr. Nat.Sci, FWISA, Water & Wastewater Process Control Specialist
To register for the online CPD accredited course please click on the following link:
Please contact Anita Pillay at email@example.com should you have any queries.
Many of the Process Controllers who are involved in wastewater treatment are quite proficient in their understanding of the processes being applied during treatment, but need some assistance when it comes to the calculations required to optimise these processes. This course focuses on those calculations as they apply to the Secondary Treatment Processes, especially Activated Sludge.
- Overview of Wastewater Treatment – Recapping baseline knowledge
- Microbiology in Wastewater Treatment
- Biofilters – Loading Rates
- Activated Sludge – Operational Calculations including F:M –ratio, Solids Retention Time, Oxygen Requirements, COD:TKN –ratio and SVI
- Secondary Sedimentation – Upflow Rates & Solids Loading Rates
On completion of the course, participants should be able to:
- Perform calculations related to the Activated Sludge & Clarification Processes
- Interpret the results from those calculations
- Use the results from those calculations to perform troubleshooting on the Activated Sludge & Clarification Processes
There will be an assignment that is to be completed in order for learners to be awarded respective CPD points.
Core presenter: Dewald van Staden – Pr PC Water, Pr. Nat.Sci, FWISA
Dewald van Staden has been involved in the field of water and wastewater treatment for the last 20 years. He obtained his B.Tech degree in Water Care from the Tshwane University of Technology, is registered with the South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP) as a Professional Natural Scientist and with the Water Institute of Southern Africa (WISA) as a Professional Process Controller.