- To elevate the profile of the South African water sector in the IWA global arena and to promote the profile and activities of IWA locally
- To support and facilitate South African members to play an active role in IWA activities globally.
- To promote knowledge and advance expertise in holistic water management for the benefit of the Country capitalising on the international conduit that the IWA provides.
- To co-ordinate the activities of the IWA in South Africa with the interests of other relevant national institutions and bodies.
- It is the intention that IWA-SA shall be representative of all water sector interests in the Country. Therefore, the IWA-SA membership consists of:
- All members of the IWA in South Africa
- Relevant organisations, having an active interest in IWA
- Eminent individuals and organisations in the field of water management
- Conduct all business in a manner conducive to and consistent with the aims and objectives of IWA and WISA, having regard to national and international interest and goodwill.
- Promote South African participation in IWA international fora.
- Initiate and organise specialised and regional conferences, symposia, workshops and related activities concerning water, including hosting congresses of IWA.
- Encourage active attendance and participation of IWA-SA members in IWA conferences, symposia, workshops and other activities locally and abroad.
- Encourage the submission of papers for presentation at IWA congresses, conferences, symposia and workshops.
- Keep members informed of international activities in the field of water.
- Assist in recruiting new South African members for dual membership of IWA and WISA.
- Ensure that South African members get the best possible benefits from IWA and WISA membership.
- Appoint technical and working committees for special projects (e.g. congresses).
- Disseminate information in South Africa on activities and developments in the field of water.
- Report to IWA head quarters on activities of the IWA-SA chapter, Executive Committee and water developments in South Africa.